Friday, June 15, 2012

William Henry Clark 1852-1942

Picture


Autobiography of William H. Clark

I will say at the beginning, that my life has not been without spot or blemish, that I have not been free from faults and failings, but what I may have committed in my weakness I have a firm belief that I expiated them in the sight of God my Heavenly Father. I have frequently prayed for forgiveness, and I firmly believe that my prayers have been heard. And I thank God that I have never with all my faults committed the unpardonable sin.

I was born in the town of Cambridge, England, December 3, 1852. The town of Cambridge was named for a bridge over the river Cam, It is a it seat of learning; there being fourteen colleges, and four halls of learning. Young men from all over the world are educated there. The Prince of Wales, now King Edward VIII, was educated at one of the colleges of Cambridge.

My father was Joseph John Clark and my mother was Maria Leach Clark. My father was born April 4, 1822 at Cambridge and my mother was born November 17, 1815 in the same town. My father at his death was sixty-eight years of age, and my mother lived to be ninety-six. My father was foreman of a large brickyard, and was considered to be fairly well to do.

My earliest recollection is when about the age of three years I was sent to an old lady's school for infants. I suppose we were sent there to be out of Mother's way. My parents were of the Methodist persuasion, and as such I used to be carried to the Sunday School. While at this old lady's school I was requested, among others, to learn and recite the third chapter of St. John; a prize of a nice bible was offered to those children who were most proficient in their recitation, and a testament was awarded those who did not recite so well. Although I was only a month over six years of age, I was very proud to think I was awarded a nice bible, which I have today. The old teacher used to read us a verse and then we had to memorize it. Soon after this I was sent to the district school for boys.

At the age of eight years I was sent to one of the colleges to be a member of the Corpus Christi College choir; where we had to study music three times per week. I stayed with the choir until I was fourteen years old, and my voice changed. Of course this did not interfere with my attendance at school. By singing in the choir I obtained some pocket money, and was enabled to lay a little by.

My oldest brother had a position as teacher in a large school at London and at an Easter holiday, he wrote for me to go to London and make him a week's visit. I was very much delighted to go, and I had a splendid time, visiting many beautiful and historic buildings, including St. Paul's Cathedral, British Museum, Crystal Palace and many other places of interest, I was twelve years of age at this time. During my last year's attendance at school, my father frequently asked me to make up my mind as to the choice of a trade or profession so as to be like my other brothers. One a teacher, another a brick mason, and the third a carpenter. But I could never make up my mind as to a trade, so I had to start to work at the brick yard, I must here digress a little, because I firmly believe the Lord's hand was working in my behalf.  If I had learned a trade or some profession, it is very doubtful if I should ever have left my native land—but more of this anon. In the meantime I was having considerable pleasure, in a worldly way, with my companions.

My father had a sister living in the state of New York (about two hundred miles from New York City) and they used to correspond quite frequently. She used to praise up the country of America, and as I was sometimes out of work, I thought I would go to America, and try my fortune there. So I began to write to my aunt, and finally I made up my mind to leave England. My father said he believed the country was all right and that if he were a younger man, he thought he would do the same.

I would here explain that when I was in the college choir, I received four pounds ($20.00) per year, and with an honorable discharge, was presented with a Bank of England note for five pounds ($25.00) which I put in the bank forming a nucleus, which I added to occasionally, and with my father's help, had quite a nice little sum to start with. I took passage on the Cunard liner "Samaria," on June 14, 1870 and landed at Boston, Massachusetts on June 26th.  When I arrived aunt's place at Mooer's Junction, Clinton County, New York, they were very glad to see me, and made me feel very much at home, but I quite homesick for a few days, as I had never been from home but once or twice in my life.

My aunt lived about a mile from the Canadian line, and her husband used to smuggle liquor across the line into the state of New York. He used to drink a great deal and got me into the notion of taking some of the stuff before breakfast, and I soon got so that I had to have a drink or I couldn't eat any breakfast.  So with my aunt's advice, I stopped taking the liquor. Well, this didn't suit my uncle, we couldn't agree, and I left and went to work on a railroad in Vermont.

I traveled around the state of New York for quite a while. At one time a sailor on Lake Champlain. At the end of about eighteen months I thought I would like to visit my relatives in Utah. I started up a correspondence with some of them, with the result that in the latter part of 1871, I left New York City for Utah. William C. Staines was then Emigration Agent for the Church. I arrived in Salt Lake City on November 10, l87l.

My folks treated me very kindly, and used to explain the principals of the Gospel to me, with the result that I was baptized by my uncle, William B. Clark, in Parley's Canyon Creek in Sugar House Ward on Sunday, May 16, 1872 and confirmed by Bishop William C. A. Smoot. As I stated before, if I had stayed and learned a trade in England, in all probability I would never have been baptized into the Church. So I implicitly believe that I was led to Utah to do Temple work for my dead relatives.

I do not wish to weary you with an account of my working in different places for the next two years. In the fall of 1873, Samuel Stewart of Clarkston came to Salt Lake City for conference, and asked me to spend the winter with them. Brother Stewart's wife, Mary Ann, was my cousin. In October of the same year I came to Clarkston and spent a very good time until April, 1874 when I returned to Salt Lake again. The next fall I came to Clarkston again, and lived with Brother Andrew W. Heggie. He was a good man and taught me to pray.

On October 10, 1877 I was married to Sarah Godfrey at Logan by Bishop William B, Preston. We were remarried in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City on October 10, 1879 by President Daniel H. Wells. On September 22, 1878 our first child was born, and we were very happy. I was ordained an elder by Martin Harris Jr., (can't find record of date). In the year 1901 the Clarkston Prayer Circle was organized by Samuel Roskelly, and I felt myself much honored by being chosen a member of the circle. I was ordained a member of the High Priest's Quorem (sic) on May 19, 1901, by Samuel Roskelly. I have done the work for the deceased members of my father's family in the Salt Lake and Logan Temples.

I fully believe this is what I was led to come to Utah for, and for this cause my life has been miraculously preserved many times. On one occasion, while chopping timber in Mill Creek Canyon. Salt Lake County, a large tree was falling towards me. My companion called to me, and I sprang behind a tree, narrowly escaping death. I was walking on a railroad track with my companion in New York State, a drizzling rain was falling. We were on a very high and narrow fill. We saw a train approaching, he stepped on one side and I on the other. I thought I was in danger and went to step over to my companion. The train was close upon us, in crossing the track I slipped and fell across the rails. The man seized me by the coat collar and dragged me over, and the train went by in a rush.

I dug a well for Famus Rasmussen, on land now owned by John Jardine; I just got it finished and was being drawn to the surface, when nearing the top the windlass broke and I dropped thirty-three feet. I thought I was dead sure that time. I can say I have not had a great deal, of sickness. The worst was when I had spotted fever. My son William had it at the same tine. One day we were very sick; burning with fever. Brother Nathan Tanner came and administered to us, and I here testify that in a few minutes we were both very much relieved and cool.

I wish to bear my testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know it is true. I know that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God. I know that his successors have all been men of God, called by revelation. I also testify that the Book of Mormon and the other works of the Church are true. I hope that during the remaining portion of my life, I will not deviate from the straight and narrow way that leads to eternal life. I have not been gifted as an orator on this earth, but I do hope to improve on the other side. This is my earnest desire, and I ask it in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

/s/ William H. Clark April 15, 1923

January 14, 1936

After fifty-seven years of unalloyed happiness, God is His wisdom saw fit to call my beloved wife to a better world. She died January 29, 1935 after much severe suffering. But I cannot complain as I firmly believe that she has gone to a place where sickness, sorrow and trouble are unknown, and I do hope and fervently pray that I may be counted worthy to meet her, never to be separated again

These are my reasons for an inexpensive funeral, I have seen funerals of people of poor or middle-class being buried in very expensive style; very much beyond their means, just to be gazed upon for a few hours.

God said to Adam, "Dust thou art and unto dust thou shalt return.”

source: http://www.childrentofathers.com/william-henry-clark.html
 




 source

No comments:

Post a Comment